Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Why do I need to arrive before New Student Orientation? The information on the web says that New Student Orientation begins on Saturday.
We request that all international students traveling from outside the United States arrive on Wednesday before New Student Orientation so that they have time to travel from the airport to campus, get settled in to their campus dorm rooms, and participate in International Student Orientation. 

Please note: If you arrive before International Student Orientation, you will be responsible for arranging your own housing and transportation.
Who is required to attend the New Student Orientation?

All new Earlham students are required to come to the New Student Orientation. This includes first year students arriving for the first time, exchange students, and transfer students. International students are asked to arrive earlier to participate in additional sessions geared towards educating them on matters specific to international students.
What am I going to do during New Student Orientation?

You will attend required and optional sessions with all incoming Earlham students. You will meet with your faculty adviser to discuss your course schedule and register for classes, meet your roommate and your Resident Assistant, and take a language placement test if applicable. Social events, shopping trips and some free time will also be scheduled.
Will I be housed in a temporary room during orientation?

No, you move directly into the room that is assigned to you for Fall Semester by Residence Life.
Will I have time to go shopping and buy necessities during the orientation week?

Yes, you will have time to shop and buy necessities. Optional shopping trips are included in the schedule and transportation is provided.

Prior to arrival, you may have the option to pre-order bedding and towels in advance.  Any items you pre-order will be available to you upon your arrival at Earlham. Contact your international student adviser with questions.

What airport do I need to fly into?

Please arrive at the Dayton International Airport in Dayton, Ohio (45 minutes from Earlham).  Due to limited resources, we are not able to provide shuttles from any other airport. If you fly into any other airport, you will be responsible for your own transportation to Earlham.

Once your flight has been purchased, submit your itinerary here so that we can welcome you when you arrive!
What do I do if the airline loses my luggage?

Airlines occasionally lose baggage.  Airlines are usually able to track misplaced baggage in a few days and are quite responsible in making sure it gets to you safely.  Make sure that tags with your name, address and telephone number are both outside and inside of all baggage. To prevent inconvenience in case of loss, carry sufficient items with you in a carry-on bag to get you through a day or two here (change of clothes, toothbrush, necessary toiletries, etc.).  Please note, however, that U.S. law restricts the amount of liquids and gels a person may carry on a plane to travel sizes (3 ounces / 88.24 ml or less) that fit together in a quart (2.84 liter) size clear plastic zip-top bag.

Make sure that all bags are well secured.  If your bag is lost or damaged, you will need to file a report with the airline before departing the airport. 
What do I do if my arrival information changes?

Please send any changes to your arrival information to or redo the form you filled out previously. 
What is the requirement for proof of immunizations?

All incoming students are required to have full COVID vaccination plus one booster.
Required self-reported immunizations include Measles (two doses after your first birthday),
Mumps (one dose after your first birthday),
Rubella (one dose after your first birthday),
Tetanus/Diphtheria booster within the past 10 years,
Meningococcal Meningitis (within last 5 years),
Tuberculosis skin test (within past 6 months).

You will not be able to attend classes without proof of these immunizations. Please contact Health Services for a copy of the current immunization form or with questions:

What will my address be?

Your physical address will be c/o Earlham College, 801 National Road West, Richmond, IN 47374, USA. Later in the semester you will receive information on your mailing address to give to friends and family.

You will be able to obtain a proof of residency letter from the Office of Residence Life.
Where can I send packages to myself before I arrive?

Address your packages:
Your name
c/o Earlham College
801 National Road West
Drawer 202 (CGE)
Richmond, IN 47374

Write on the package “New international student, arriving 08/06/2020, hold for arrival.”
When does the Fall Semester start?

Classes begin on Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2024.
Can I apply for scholarships or loans from sources other than Earlham?

Yes, but scholarships from sources other than the institution the student is attending are rare and loans almost always require that a U.S. citizen or permanent resident co-sign. For information about loans that don't require a cosigner, check out this blog post.
Will I be able to stay on campus during vacation periods?

Yes, college housing is open year round for international students. There is additional charge for vacation housing during short-term vacation periods of one week or less, however, no meals are served during Fall Break, Winter Break, or Spring Break. There is a daily charge for housing during Summer Break and there is now a daily charge for Winter Break. The fee is determined each year by the Residence Life Staff. The fee for Summer and Winter Break is currently $20.00 per day, however, discounts may be awarded based on an individual's level of financial need.
Can I receive additional financial aid if the financial status of my parents/sponsors changes and they cannot pay what was indicated on the Certification of Finances form?

No, once you have accepted a financial aid package and/or submitted an approved Certification of Finances you cannot apply for or receive additional financial assistance. Please consult your acceptance letter from the Admissions office or contact an International Student Adviser for more information.
Do I have to fulfill the language requirement?

The General Education requirement of "Perspectives on Diversity: Language" may be fulfilled in several ways:
  • Completing a year of language class at Earlham (101 and 102 in any language offered).
  • Taking a validation assessment or a validation course, if placed into a 201 class or above.
  • Demonstrating the equivalent level of competency in a language not taught at Earlham.
  • If English is not your first language, then English will fulfill this requirement.

Students on Steps