Skip to content

J-1 On-Campus Employment

J-1 Students are permitted to work on-campus part-time in non-work award funded positions. Students should first consult with their international student adviser to obtain permission for employment and to apply for a social security card, which they will need before they are permitted to start working.

According to the USCIS Handbook for Employers,  "responsible officers may authorize other J-1 students for part-time on-campus employment according to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, assistantship, or off-campus employment based on serious, urgent, unforeseen economic circumstances."